Thursday, November 20, 2008

Ack, a Song Evokes A Childhood Memory

Ack, a Goofy Childhood Memory Resurfaces
Current mood: crazy
Category: Games

I'm fiddling about on iTunes, mostly to keep my senses occupied and not dwell on someone (and no, You, You're not the one Im dwelling on, puhleeze), and in the iTunes Essentials. Stumbling towards Olivia Newton-John, I listened to the 30-second appetizer of "Hopelessly Devoted to You."

Now I'm trying to remember....I know I played out two relationship scenarios with both my Star Wars figure Han Solo and Princess Leia and my Barbie and Shaun Cassidy 12" dolls. (You under 30 readers can Wiki who Shaun Cassidy is.)

One of my soap-ish scenarios had Princess Leia singing "You Light Up My Life" to Han Solo (before the carbon freezing chamber scene in "Empire Strikes Back).

So that probably means that Barbie sand "Hopelessly Devoted to You" to Shaun Cassidy. Barbie and Shaun had this really drama-filled relationship, and Barbie's mom was played by my 12" Cher "action figure"

Their other pals were my 12" Donny and Marrie figures, who I kept as a couple (incest alert!). Donny and Marie were freaky dolls, whose hands held guitars (they played guitars?) with a little peg holdng the guitar in the hand. Once you took the guitar of, however, Donny and Marie were left with these total stigmata holes in the pals of their hands. Marie had an unruly mop on her head, whch I cut myself. That resulted in Marie looking like a cross between Phyllis Diller and a mental patient, largely due to the stigmata plus funky hairdo!

My doll-playing s a child was always really reality-based. Lots of school, lots of dates, all the fantasties I wanted to enact when I grew up (except maybe the having Cher as my mother). It wasn't quite as serious as "Barbie and Shaun Are Audited by the IRS, but you know what I mean.

And my mom made a lot of Barbie's clothes. She funked out in the late 70's/early 80's

Funny how songs can spark a cavalcade of memories...

No comments: