Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Another One Bites the Leg

My next door neighbors have one of those snippy little dogs, breed of which I don't know or care, that yelps and jumps and is uncontrollable.

This summer, my brother and Luke were bringing the bikes from the garage to the back porch, and the dog bit Steven in the leg, through his jeans, drawing blood and leaving a big bruise on his calf. How the dog gets off his leash so often and is left to gnaw on the neighbors is a mystery to me. Steven shrugged it off, we cleaned the wound and the neighbors profusely apologized, citing that the dog was in training and it'd never happen again. Steven, being the nice guy he is, didn't raise a fuss, though he was visibly pissed off.

This morning, I was coming back from the alley throwing away trash, and my neighbor had the dog on the leash, taking it out to do its business, which they leave on their property and don't clean up for days, which is really fucking gross. For some reason, she let go of the leash, the dog raced towards me as I was saying "Good morning" to my neighbor, and the dog chewed a nice bruise into MY calf, not drawing blood, but it hurt like a son of a bitch. Thank God I had long pants on. Being the nice person I am, I also shrugged it off, was reassured that the dog has had all his shots, and was told that the dog was kicked out of the grooming salon on Sunday for biting the groomer and couldn't go back. I went back into the house to find the hydrogen peroxide.

This is one of those little shit dogs that people dress up in cute clothing. It's not a giant lab or German shepherd. Clearly, the dog hasn't been trained properly in the months since he bit Steven.

I sort of laughed it off out of politeness, not wanting to put up a stink, went into the house and washed the wound with peroxide, noticing how quickly it bruised up. My mom was incensed, more so than I was.

I'm not one for animal cruelty, but some dogs just need to be put the fuck down and call it a day. If your dog is uncontrollable, and continues to bite people despite training and "nurturing," it's clearly in the dog's personality to bite. And that's not cool.

How many people (Steven, the groomer, me, God knows who else) does the dog have to bite before the neighbors realize the dog is inherently vicious?

Forgive me, but I'm in a foul mood. Violently threw up last night before bed with no apparent cause and no forewarning, woke up with the mother of all headaches, and it's a dark, gloomy, misty day. At least I'm meeting Julia for an early breakfast, so that should perk me up. Then it's off to work, where I hope to God my mood is better than it was yesterday, when everything and everyone annoyed and aggravated me, everything at work was a SNAFU out of my control or design and I couldn't wait to go home.

Praying fervently for a better day today, though it's not looking promising thus far...

No comments: