Monday, November 28, 2011

Beautiful Noise

First of all, Neil Diamond tickets for Chicago go on sale at 10am. I texted my supervisor at 5:30 am asking her if I could clock out at 10 and order tickets online at work. She doesn't get half of my texts amazingly, but she damn well better have received this one, because my mom and I are going to this concert come hell or high water. We have a notoriously slow internet connection at work, so I'm hoping for the best. (Addendum: As it turned out, Luke woke up sick and is staying home. I decided to stay home long enough to order my Neil tickets.)

Neil is an unlikely but significant presence in The Band's "The Last Waltz," incidentally. He sticks out like a sore thumb, and is the only one in the film who doesn't act completely coked out. Whether or not he was high...I should hope he had better brains than that, but The Band's Robbie Robertson did produce 2 of Neil's albums, including "Beautiful Noise," so I guess Robertson can't be all that bad, though he comes across not only in the film, but also in life in general as a pretentious prick. We'll see what TOC thinks of him after the film on Wednesday, but his general impression of Neil is that he's a cheeseball. What does he know? It's not like I'm buying Andrea Bocelli tickets. Puhleeze.

I heart the Neil. I've seen him no fewer than a dozen times live in my life, my mom NEVER having seen him, amazingly enough. So procuring tickets for this concert is really, really important to me. I realize it's during one of our most frantic times in the office, but too fucking bad. That's about the extent of my participation in Cyber Monday.

Had a dream about having to have sex with my ex-boyfriend that woke me up at 4am, but I was able to fall back asleep until 5:30. Thank God.

I've been reading the book accompanying the George Harrison "Living in the Material World" documentary and have to completely agree with a statement by Ringo Starr, made recently. With regard to the beauty of Indian music, Starr said, "Over the years, I got to love the music myself and now I'm a Christian Hindu with Buddhist tendencies. Thanks to George, who opened my eyes as much as anyone else's." I'm a practicing Christian but I have to side with Ringo on his philosophy. I take a lot from Eastern religious tradition and Buddhist thought, much to my congregation and pastor's chagrin. I highly recommend the Harrison book--it's 400 pages of rare photographs, many taken by George himself, or his family members, with recollections by his most trusted friends and family. It's tits.

Came across this quote this morning, to remind myself:

“…Your light is seen, your heart is known, your soul is cherished by more people than you might imagine…If you knew how many others have been touched in wonderful ways by you, you would be astonished. If you knew how many people feel so much for you, you would be shocked…You are far more wonderful than you think you are… Rest with that. Rest easy with that. Breathe again. You are doing fine. More than fine. Better than fine. You’re doin’ great. So relax. And love yourself today.”~~Neale Donald Walsch

Time to rouse Luke from his slumber. Oh, to jam this Diamond tune and rudely awaken him. Produced by Robbie Robertson, ugh.

"Beautiful Noise"











No comments: