Friday, October 5, 2012

I Want a Love That's Right But Right Is Only Half of What's Wrong



Oh give me just a small break. I purposely had the vows of "submitting" to one's husband taken out of my wedding. Instead, we said something like "To be inspired by and to respond," which didn't strike me as being as anti-feminist as the traditional way of looking at husbands and wives. This passage cracks me up (as well as cracking up several of my old college friends). I know a couple who should change their names to "Dr. and Mrs. Cognitive Dissonance."

Old fashioned, outdated, impractical...like everything else in the Old Testament:

"Like the sun rising, so is the beauty of a good wife in her well-ordered home.

Happy is the husband of a good wife; 

the number of his days will be doubled.

A loyal wife rejoices her husband,

and he will complete his years in peace.

A good wife is a great blessing;

she will be granted among the blessings of the man who

fears the Lord.

Whether rich or poor, his heart is glad,
and at all times his face is cheerful.
A wife's charm delights her husband,
and her skill puts fat on his bones.
A silent wife is a gift of the Lord,
and there is nothing so precious as a disciplined soul.


A modest wife adds charm to charm, and no balance can weigh the value of a chaste soul.

Like the sun rising in the heights of the Lord,

So is the beauty of a good wife in her well-ordered home."

Ecclesiasticus (Sirach) 26:1-4.13-16

2 comments:

best male friend said...

"A silent wife is a gift of the Lord."

Just shut up and fill my belly, wench.

People honestly buy into this crap?

Read the fine print, ladies, before you sell your souls to the man you love!

The Offbeat Drummer said...

Right?

Yes, people believe this shit.

You're essentially damned if you have an opinion, thought or desire that doesn't meet your husband's approval, since he rules the roost. So you best just put up and shut up.

Alas, I am divorced. Are you surprised?